Sunday, August 21, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream in a can!

 In preparation for a cooking lesson at my school, I made homemade ice cream for the first time. It was relatively easy an fun. It was adapted from a recipe I found online. It originally called for using two large coffee cans, a 1pound and 3 pound, but those are hard to come by in Japan. I used a small storage tin and a large tupperware cylinder. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups of light cream, half and half.(I used 1 cup cream and one cup milk)

1/2 cup of sugar

1-1/2 Teaspoons of vanilla

salt

ice


Directions:

1. Mix all the cream, sugar, and vanilla in the smaller can. Tape down the lid. (I placed Saran wrap over the opening of the can before putting the top on just to be extra sure)

2. Layer  the large container with ice and salt. Put the smaller can inside. Fill with ice and salt. Put the top on and tape shut.

3. Roll or kick the container around, wrapped in a towel. or a plastic bag if you do it outside. Roll for 15 minutes, then check and refill ice and roll for another 15 minutes. It's probably going to leak a little bit. It gets a little messy inside. For round two we took it outside and kicked it around. Great fun.

It worked. We made vanilla ice cream that tasted great. The second time, I only used milk and added an egg from a different recipe. It didn't work quite as well, but not bad. I want to experiment more and I can't wait to try it with the kids at school.




1 comment:

~~louise~~ said...

Thank you so much for sharing this fun "recipe" for Ice Cream in a Can! July is National Ice Cream Month here in the states and I hope you don't mind but I've just pinned you on my Pinterest Ice Cream Month board! Thank you so much for sharing...

I've had a wonderful time visiting your blog, Louise

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...