Saturday, October 22, 2011

Our Giant Halloween Pumpkin

Halloween is known in Japan and you see a lot of Halloween themed products and decorations in stores, though most Japanese don't know what it means. English schools all across Japan have Halloween parties. Big orange pumpkins are not so easy to find, though. Japanese pumpkins are small, green and very hard. They don't eat big orange pumpkins, but grow them for animal food. In the past, I usually ordered real American pumpkins from the foreign buyer's club. They're not cheap, but authentic. Recently, though, I found big orange pumpkins at a local supermarket, Marui. This year however, there were not many to choose from. There was either huge or extra huge. I opted for the huge. I could barely even pick it up. It probably weighs over 40 Lbs. Junko will use it in her class at Elementary school, before we carve it. The girls couldn't pass up a photo shot opportunity.It looks even bigger next to them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could find big orange pumpkins where I live in Gifu City. I have lived here for 10 years and I have never seen orange pumpkins for sale. I miss making jackolanterns at Halloween. Nelson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...