Saturday, October 22, 2011

Japanese Figs: ichijiku いちじく

 One thinks of figs and dates as middle eastern fruits, but figs are a very popular food in Japan. These fresh figs came from Junko's mother. They have some fig trees growing on the little mountain behind their house. Figs are really tasty. I've always loved Fig Newtons, but I don't think I'd ever seen a fresh fig in America before. I have to admit, their a little gross-looking, like something bloody cut open. When ever I see them, I'm reminded of the strange monsters from the Stephen King movie "The Langoliers" or the burrowing monsters from "Tremors". Another thing about figs is in Japan, they say eating figs will help a woman's breasts grow bigger. I wonder if that kind of ad campaign would work n the states? Bon appetite!


1 comment:

Perogyo said...

Wow, I've seen these for sale but have never tried them before. So d I you just crack them open and spoon them out? Can you eat the peel?
The only one I've tried is the yogurt, but that's good, so I'll have to try this next time they're in season.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...